Sunday, June 05, 2005

SHORT: 'Douglas'

'Douglas'


INT - LAB - DAY

A scientist is making notes at a desk. There is a monkey in a cage.

The scientist writes quickly. His mind is focused on his work.

The monkey's eyes are focused on him.

The scientist looks up and notices the monkey.

He goes back to his work. He can feel the gaze.

He tries hard to ignore it but he can't.

PROF NAPIER
Douglas, please.

The man tries to get back to his work.

SOFT VOICE (O.S.)
Can we swap please?

The man looks up.

PROF NAPIER
Who said that?

DOUGLAS
I did.

PROF NAPIER
Douglas?

DOUGLAS
Can we swap places now?

PROF NAPIER
Are you really-?

DOUGLAS
I'm bored.

PROF NAPIER
Oh my-

DOUGLAS
That work looks stressful. Why don't you let me finish it for you? I'm good with formulas.

PROF NAPIER
Is this some kind of a joke?

DOUGLAS
Let me have a go. I'm so bored of this cage.

Prof Napier approaches the cage.

PROF NAPIER
This is amazing.

DOUGLAS
I like your tie.

PROF NAPIER
Thank you.

DOUGLAS
Can we swap places now?

PROF NAPIER
This is a scientic beakthrough.

DOUGLAS
If we swap places for a while I'll tell you all my secrets.

PROF NAPIER
Secrets?

DOUGLAS
You'll be rich. I have lots of secrets.

The scientist thinks.

He opens the door and lets the monkey out.

DOUGLAS (CONT'D)
Can I have your coat?

PROF NAPIER
Yes.

The man takes off his lab coat and hands it to the monkey who puts it on.

Prof Napier climbs into the cage and Douglas locks it.

Douglas goes to the desk and begins to write.

The Scientist watches him intently.

The monkey cackles and then runs for it.

PROF NAPIER (CONT'D)
Douglas?

The door slams behind the simian.

PROF NAPIER (CONT'D)
I thought we had a deal!

He sighs.

PROF NAPIER (CONT'D)
Not again.



Listening to (You should too): Sons and Daughters 'The Repulsion Box' (Album) We Are Scientists! 'Great Escape' (Single) Nine Black Alps 'Not Everyone'

Does anyone have any recommendations? My ears are always open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info » » »

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...