Wednesday, December 13, 2006

OUT WITH THE OLD...

Twenty-Six,

We've had some good times, haven't we? I'll be sad to see you go as I tag in Twenty-Seven tommorrow. Still, you laid some fantastic groundwork for the next year to build on.


Who could forget the single most amazing night of the year, when 'Death Rides the Nine' played at The Light House?
It was an incredible night and a culmination of two years of working and waiting and I was proud to have been able to see it on the big screen. I may not ever get another chance like that so I shall always keep it close to my heart; my Mom dressed up like she was going to a glitzy premiere, My Dad smiling gleefully when he saw people lining up outside and complaining because they couldn't see it, The Q and A where, despite nervously saying 'basically' 23 times in five minutes, I felt that I held my own against older, wiser film types.

Being in that amazing venue was both exhilarating and cathartic. thanks to everyone who attended; friends or strangers. It was, as The Hold Steady sing about, a 'massive night'.
Twenty-Six was also the age that I really started to settle into own skin and come into my own. I started to finally realise that it's not so bad to be unlike everyone else and do things a little differently. Sometimes, the right people like/love you for it.

There were certainly a fair share of nay-sayers and snoop cockers but if we listened to people like that we would never get anything done, would we?

There were good times in the usual places, great times in unusual ones and more bands and musical events than I could shake a stick at.

It's been my 'Garden State' year for sure; a lot of searching, learning and ultimately finding. I won't bleat on, lest I jinx things. I always worry that the good things in my life won't last but, hey, you all know me well enough to know that it's a common trait. I'm learning to make the most of things while they're going on.

Twenty-Seven, please hold onto the dearest things; friends, new and old, the writing stuff and, of course, the provider of L-O-V-E and swish bracelets.

Thanks a lot, Twenty-Six

Over to you, Twenty-Seven. Wow me.


Love and Lasers,

Chris

18 comments:

Kylie said...

Aww. I have already made very good friends with 27, don't you worry. Thick as thieves, me and 27.

I wish I could have been there when Death Rides the Nine was played. I'd have probably cried with pride. I'm good at crying, me :)

Anyway, plenty more bracelets where that one came from. I really hope you weren't lying when you said you liked monkeys...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Christopher D. Bate said...

That's good to know. 27 will be as glad as an age can be.

More bracelets? Swish!
I wasn't lying about my fondness for monkeys. I told you a lot of weird monkey stories last weekend and I have a ton more. There is something amusing about those guys.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Humpy Barthday for tomorrow!

Gretta James said...

Happppyy Birthday for tomorrow...

And WOW YOU indeed.

Gretta x

Blair said...

You Just Remember Bizzle, when the 22nd rolls round, YOUR ASS IS MINE! (but not in a gay way)
I will show you pain, i will show you no mercy, i will show you the sites of Hurtsville.

And that sir is the Vital Statistic.

p.s your only as old as the women you feel. (if so ive not been born yet, huzzah!)

x said...

happy birthday Chris! may this be the first of your happiest years and may they be endless. xxxx

Admin said...

happy birthday!!! hope it's even more amazing than 26! i'll be 27 in may. woohoo!

Devil Mood said...

I think 26 was a turning point year for you...the road to success started there so don't forget about it :)
Have a good day tomorrow!

Maja said...

Happy birthday, Christopher :)

Kylie said...

Hello 27! We meet again!

Happy birthday, baby. Henry sends his... Henry :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Well I would scoop up my usual dose of sarcasm, and cynicism but I reckon it might be more appropriate to say happy birthday, hope you have a good one.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

27 will be amazing - I am certain of it..though the finding of yourself and losing it again of 26 will be revisted time and again, for certain. Consider it part of the ride.

sophie said...

happy birthday you cutie pie
guy:)

Anonymous said...

Here's to being on fire less in '07! And dont worry, I'll take good care of 26 when the 30th rolls around.

Steve House said...

happy birthday space dude.

Remember you can and always will reinvent yourself. You get uipset when you don't so let go of 26 and remember it fondly as you move onwards and upwards to the next exciting adventure, never letting yourself get stale as you did back in the dark times

Devil Mood said...

Okay, now I can say it: happy birthday! Enjoy it!

Christopher D. Bate said...

Thanks, each and all.

This birthday, without wanting to sound like something out of a cheesy T.V movie, has been the best ever. Everything has been so great. Not even working for half a day could tarnish it.

Thank you, guys and girls for coming back time and time again. To those that I can't see in the flesh today; have a virtual hug.
The others, you know you're hugs are coming!
K.P, you get specials ;)

Steve, I'm going to copy and save your good words because, as well as you know me, I will look upon them when times are tough.

Life is good.

27

Mimey said...

Happy Birthday.

[cheering]

Twenty seven is an excellent age. You're somewhere on your way to uncovering who you are by 27. Not that anyone ever gets there. The journey is worth far more than the destination and all that.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...