Monday, May 22, 2006

Bang!

The weekend went by in a crazy blur of the usual. It was good to get back to normal with a better frame of mind; worries and concerns all but gone (For now at least)

Here's a round-up of what doings a-transpired (It's been a long time since I quoted The Simpsons):


* Blair came over on Friday and we drank tea, listened to music and watched a few films. We watched 'Sane Man' on DVD, 'Ninja Batchelor Party' on YOU-TUBE and 'Poltergeist' on TCM. That movie loses its edge when you change the story to suit your own surreal needs. Our version featured haunted private parts, ghostly 'Cuppa Soups' and a high kicking, sing-song finale. If Tobe Hooper had gone with our version he would surely have had a (s)hit on his hands.

* I woke up after a surprisingly good sleep to catch 'In Good Company' whilst having my breakfast. I finished writing a short film called 'Feelings and Animals’ and had a nice chat to Jon before my brother came round and it was time to get ready for our night in Wolverhampton. We wanted to get out early rather than just hang around. It was 'STE-DAY' after all.

* We hit a couple of bars first: The Royal London and The Little Civic, drinking whatever took our fancy and requesting whatever songs we wanted to hear. Our friend was DJing at Blast Off so we knew that good music would be assured and that there would be a welcome change from the usual Brit-Pop balls.

* It gets a bit blurry. There was dancing I know that much. I know I did something stupid because my knees are cut and bruised. I imagine it was a vicious dance floor slide. I'll never learn. I remember dancing with The Steve and I also remember getting lost. It's all a bit foggy.

Deary me.

I remember being social, letting some strange girl wear my hat and bumping into Kerry from my office who was strangely less flirty and fun outside of the office. I figured it would be the other way around.

Nick and I then headed to David J's house party after Blast Off closed at 2:30am. We arrived there and carried on for a few more hours. I wanted someone to power bomb me through the plastic garden table as I felt it would be a "good video to have on peoples phones". This didn't happen. It was probably for the best.

* We passed out watching Lee Evans XL and I woke up dangling off a sofa with Lister, the resident big lizard, staring at me through the glass of his enclosure.

* Went home, showered and tried to kill the evil hangover before I saw my folks, played with my niece (She didn't help the hangover and I didn't have the energy to play that much) and headed out to Birmingham to see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Har Mar supported with his new rock band Sha Na Na. They were cool. You've gotta love Har Mar, haven't you? Despite those terrible Lynx Click adverts he did.
The Services were the second support. Mans was right when he said "I bet it'll be some loud, arty New York band". They were awesome though, really crazy. They played fierce electro that had lots of shouting and symbol bashing. The cool, suited up older guy (Who looked a bit like Billy Zane) drank from a mug which endeared them further. Mans was moved to say: "If that's tea in that mug then that's absolute rock and roll". It was beer (Mans was disappointed). They were still quality though.
YYY were cool. Karen O is a wild cat. Despite her ill-advised bowl 'do, she's an excellent front woman who has been on my personal 'To Do' list for quite some time. (I like them feisty and freaky what can I say?) They were awesome live and did all the good stuff. 'Art Star' and 'Bang' were my personal highlights. I'm a sucker for the old shit.

I fully intend to at least rest a little tonight.

I hope you all had smashing weekends.

Some songs currently kicking around in my head:


The Greatest by Cat Power

Art Star by Yeah Yeah Yeahs









6 comments:

missy said...

All that in a weekend??

Steve House said...

ah you have been a busy bumblebee. Thought I hadnt seen you that much

Devil Mood said...

Chris, I have to be honest with you: today I don't have time to read your post but I thought I'd stop by just to see if you're ok and say hi :)

Christopher D. Bate said...

Trix--The question is WHO ISN'T?

Missy--I like a freaky busy weekend. Gets the blood running..

Steve--Buzzing around as ever.

Maddy--My kind of girl.

Day--You should join us for tea sometime.

Devil Mood--I'll summarise: Ramblin'.
Hello to you :)

ben said...

The last Family Guy I saw was a bizarre parody of Poltergeist you know. And well done for picking two of my top favourite songs there. "Art Star" appeared in one of my very first radio series in which I credited it to William G Stewart.

Lee Evans though? Tschh....

Maja said...

Art Star! I love that song! You're so lucky :) I wish I could go see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

What a busy weekend you had. Go hard, son!

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...