Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Good Stuff

Stephanie sent me a hardcopy version of 'A Girl Called Simplicity' along with notes added in biro all the way through. I always send Stephanie my stuff because I value her opinion, honesty and musical input.
She's my 'proof reader' and she would make a great manager/agent because she genuinely seems to care about the stuff I crank out. She also helps to give me faith in my scibblings and I've really, really started to love the finished results.
For the first time in years, I'm proud of my creative side. I no longer believe that 'Death Rides the Nine' was some kind of fluke. I hope I get another shot at entertaining people. I don't want wads of cash or fame or anything like that (Good job really).
I'd do it for free.
With that in mind, I've put myself down for a stand-up comedy night in Birmingham despite having no real stand-up comedy experiance.
Oddly, it came about from the recent Great Lake Swimmers gig. It's something I've always wanted to have a bash at and something I should get out of my system. I'm sure I'll be awful but I shall try to be 'rock and roll' awful.
If I haven't pimped it enough, you can read the second episode of my ongoing surreal, banter-based comedy HERE
The first episode is can also be read at the rather splendid TWO NIL BLANK BLANK site. Read it HERE if ye be bored. They're not long and, as usual, your thoughts are appreciated.

A few things I'm excited about: Corinna emailed to say that she will be sending out one of her cool sock monkeys very soon. Her sock monkeys totally rule and she has made one for La Steve and I. I'm going to take the little guy everywhere! Well, everywhere except work. It'll be way too cool for that place!

I'm heading down to glorious Brighton to see Stephanie. We are going to see Sleater-Kinney and have a few chuckles.

Before that there is a trip to Ramshackles on Friday and other housemate Mark's birthday bash at Reflex. Reflex is one of those tacky eighties bars and not really my scene at all. I can't imagine enjoying a neon-filled night with Wham!, The Human League and Culture Club.

*SHUDDER*

Still, it's a friends birthday so maybe I can bite the bullet. Maybe. I believe there is a bet on as to whether I will attend. The Steve has said that I won't. Maybe I can make my departing friend a little pocket money.

10 comments:

ben said...

Ah come on. There's loads of great songs from the 80s. People just seem to only remember the new romantics and SAW shit. Although ABC wil neva di.

Ben Baker is 25 years old.

Anonymous said...

I think the stand-up angle will be very interesting. Stage of any kind is very exciting.

JM said...

I think you will do fine at stand-up, especially because of the humorous ways you tell your life stories.

Steve House said...

Whilst I would love to see Chris there I also know it would be his idea of personal hell and I reckon my moneys safe.

He aint cheesy like Stevie

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you are proud of Simplicity - you have every right to be! I loved every page of it and will be posting a proper review in the next few days.

I'm also super glad that you've decided to do some stand-up! You'll be brilliant and it will be just the buzz you need. :)

Ben's right - there are loads of cool Eighties bands. I'll have to educate you at the weekend after we've been rocked out by Sleater Kinney. It is going to be fantastic! :)

Stephanie
xxx

PS DRTN was no fluke, buddy. You've got talent by the truckload. You've just got to share it.

Mimey said...

Let me know where you're playing! I'd love to see you on stage. I have a really encouraging laugh.

And if it all goes horribly wrong, and the audience throw potatoes at you, I'll give you a sympathetic smile ;-)

Walter said...

For one odd moment, I thought you had said Stephanie was your "poof reader".

You'll rock at stand-up, in a laid-back Dylan Moran kinda way.

Unknown said...

I'll come with JvS! We'll both go and see you!

Cathy said...

The stand-up night sounds like a great time...I was in Birmingham a few years back and have terrible memories of the place. I wish I had known you then; I'm sure my memories would have been much cheerier.

Have a great time visiting Stephanie.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...