Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Watching a Millionaire Pogo

Me and David J went to see Juliette Lewis at Birmingham Acadamy 2
(Which is, in reality, a room at the top of the Acadamy. I can only assume 3 and 4 are the ladies and gents toilets)
For those that you that don't know Juliette Lewis (And I don't mean biblically) She is an actress who has starred in such films as Natual Born Killers, Husbands and Wives, From Dusk Till Dawn, Cape Fear, Old School and Starsky and Hutch, to name but a few. She's always been something of a wild child and has always been in my 'Celebrity Shaglist'. Her other, newer occupation is fronting a punk-rock band called The Licks.
As ever, critics have cocked a snoop at a Hollywood star attempting to break into music. No one cares about Keanu 'Balsa Boy' Reeves and his band and Bruce Willis, well, as a blues singer he's a bloody good actor.
I digress. The point is that it's not easy trying to convince the baying, paying legions of tighter purse strings that you are '4 real'. Juliette has had her problems in that area.
She's also a woman. (I'll crawl back to this point later)
Anyway, David J and I went along for the hell of it. We are both fans of her face and we were interested to see if she could pull of the whole 'rock star' thing.
Proceedings were kicked off nicely with a charged set from a band called Big Bang. They rattled out intense rock shanties that went down well and made me have that familiar, money-sapping head-thought: 'I'll have to get their album'
David and I bobbed along, charged by a few bevvies (One of which, a Guinness, was free on the condition that it 'May make you sick' according to the bar chap. D.J decided not to drink it as it was badly poured and smelt like old socks. Not everything free is good)
So, The Licks came on. Juliette had blonde hair. I couldn't see the rest of her body because everyone else seemed to be taller than me, including a lot of the girls.
She has energy and a passion that is undeniable. While it may not have been my cup of tea (Every song sounded the same) It was a bit of fun. Contrary to what I have read in the - *Shudder*- NME, Miss Lewis has a decent voice and it suits the racket rather well.
She didn't dive in the crowd or anything because she had 'shitty shoes' (Not literally). I had washed and manicured my hands especially.
David J said that at Leeds she jumped right into the crowd before adding that, if it did happen, he was going to “get a grope”. She didn't. Bah.
I also learned how women get shit everyday just for being women with dreams of becoming something more than pin-up fodder for toothless builders and peanut brained ogre-men. A bunch of knuckle dragging fuck-farts felt compelled to remind Juliette that not only was she "In Birmingham now" over and over but she should get her tits out. One chucklehead shouted that she was "Shit in Cape Fear."
Fair enough, but he then went onto shout "DeNiro" over and over. What did he expect? DeNiro to come on and do a screaming guitar solo? Perhaps he wanted to fuck DeNiro. Either way, they were disappointed and left pretty early into the set, possibly to honk at passing women in their beaten up cars.
It was pretty good. Good to see my good friend again and catch up. We saw Juliette Lewis in the flesh and our curious young minds were sated.
Conclusion: While she may not be in the greatest punk band in the world (That's still Husker Du, folks) She is pretty good and crazy beautiful...and I don't mean that in a laddish kind of way. I'd just like to feed her grapes and make her sandwiches. Stuff like that.

In other news, I’ve been writing items for various creative endeavours. One of which is a film I want to pitch to MM Entertainment (The people making future Cannes award winning film ‘Death Rides the Nine’) It’s something different and isn’t about being grim or about reaping anything. I’ll put it up for your perusal should you wish to waste a bit of time reading my wordy piffle (Not how I’m going to pitch it) Those that read and gave feedback on ‘Bent Soul’ helped me greatly.

Hoping to get my tickets for the great Sigur Ros this weekend. I've got a barrage of bands to see over the coming months. It's good to be active and it's always good to have something to look forward to.

Hope you fine people out there are well and good.

C-Bizzle.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...