Friday, February 10, 2006

Ryan and Lindsay/NME Tour/Swimming with metaphorical sharks (AKA What the fuck is wrong with me?)

Lindsay Lohan and Ryan Adams? What is the world of showbiz up to? How is that going to shape the guys records? Please don't let them duet. Parker Posey was okay because she had a certain amount of sassy cool about her (And she was a vampire in the otherwise pointless Blade Trinity) but Looney Lohan? I'd rather eat my own legs than

a) listen to that record (or her records)

b) have my way with her. Like Britney Spears, J-Lo and Beyonce I just don't see the attraction.

(The Steve does. The Steve wants to marry her)

She was just okay in 'Mean Girls'

Anyway, celebrity gossip aside (I apologise wholeheartedly for bleating on like a reporter from Heat magazine or Hello or Snoop or something) I have a couple of things I'd like to share with you. It's been a crazy few days and I haven't really been able to get everything down.

The NME Awards Tour was a blast. I'd completely forgotten about it until Mans reminded me on the day. Mans had won the tickets from NME, tickets that, thanks to the startling and sudden popularity of the Artic Monkeys, had rocketed in value. As we were on the guest list we couldn't cash in on the madness and become a few hundred better off. Mans wouldn't anyway. Anyway, Mans had to report on the gig for a future addition of NME. He, with my 'help', had to interview gig goers, take pictures and look out for a list of things that would make for an interesting article. The peeps at the magazine had made a list of things to look out for: 'Craziest Fan', 'Best Front man', 'Best banter from an audience member' (Which went to me as it happens after I shouted 'Are you Jimmy Saville?' at The Mystery Jets keyboardist)
Anyway, amid interviewing random people and narrowly avoiding being swept away by a tide of sweaty people, we had a grand old time.

I'm not one for the mosh pit, I feel you should know this. I'm not going to risk my face for The Arctic Monkeys or Maximo Park (MAYBE We Are Scientists) because that kind of behaviour is reserved for such bands as Modest Mouse, Okkervil River, DFA 1979 etc (Bands of real quality)
Mans has to cobble together all the sweaty scraps of paper and fuzzy images to create an article. I'm sure Mans will kick ass with it. He's had a long-standing ambition to be a music journalist.


In other, more personal, news I have realised that the mental scars obtained by my first (And most likely last) relationship are deeper than I thought. I feel that, because of this, I've upset someone I really care for.


In the words of Jeff Buckley's 'Love You Should Have Come Over':

"Maybe I'm too young/ To keep good love from going wrong"

I feel like a surfer who has been attacked by a big ugly shark (Bare with me..) and is too frightened to get back in the water. I feel like I just want to paddle where it's safe and shallow for a while.

I hope I don't fuck this up like I always seem to.

"Lucky in life not in love"

Ryan Adams 'Withering Heights'

Sweet and sour.

Such is life.


No comments:

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...