Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Random Aptness

This is why I love music. Sometimes, you look around for something to vocalise what's going on in your mind and then a beautiful song comes along to help you out...


I tried to save a girl I truly loved and didn’t quite know how to help her
So now she’s sleeping as the parrots up above cried everythings so they can tell her
And when I did my good deed I thought I’d feel a broken gladness
But standing in the street alone I just felt sinking sadness

Girl you died will know us bliss
So hang up your veil and dress
Look at me and take one guess
Where this best intention love will lead us

I once felt a feeling fully through though I knew I shouldn’t feel it
Because to act on it I’d be a person who should be slapped into a strait jacket
So every time it comes around I just let it die inside me
You said I only come around because I just need you to hide me

So we knelt in rusted weeds
Sticks and sharp rocks cutting into our knees
And I thought that we would freeze
But there was just too much more blood in our bodies

I’m not gonna make you take the pills though you should really think about it
The fire by which we both were almost killed glows so beautiful don’t doubt it
But we have to make a choice now can we go without it

There’s a space I tried to fill
But I’m scared now I never will
You fly around while I stand still
Till I slowly just get smaller and smaller

I tried to save a girl I truly loved and I never would desert her
And we both found out that I was dreaming of the day I thoroughly could hurt her
When I saw myself inside her eyes a shrinking would be savior
Resented her for never needing help and couldn’t wait just to betray her

So we drove back to her place
From this temporary home that we had made
I stepped back into my street
Feeling a fool as though my life has slowly shrunk away from me

With my good deed
With my good deed
With my good deed
Come on


--My Good Deed by Shearwater

12 comments:

sarah said...

it's amazing.. how some songs just spell it out, so precisely.

i won't go all long and drawn out. but i would totally hug you if we were in the same room. goofy and all.

JM said...

what a fitting song.

Stephanie said...

That's a beautiful song, and perfect that it's found you now. I just discovered Shearwater myself this past weekend.

Christopher D. Bate said...

Okkervil River and Shearwater are two of the best bands around (I suppose that's because they're full of the same members) I've also been listening to a lot of Wilco.
'I am trying to break your heart' from the 'Kicking Television' live record is buzzinga round my head today. That song, it has to said, isn't apt. I don't want to break anyones heart...
..maybe my own.

Stephanie said...

It is astonishing how well a stranger can document your feelings. :) Shearwater seem to have done the trick.

Apt or not, Wilco and Okkervil River are always good to help soothe a broken heart or troubled mind.

And don't be trying to break your own heart. It's bad enough when someone else inflicts that pain on you.

Stephanie said...

You can trade the Wilco song for the Whiskeytown one, I suppose.

Devil Mood said...

Wow, truly fitting! You probably couldn't say it more accurately. Music is really amazing :)

Mr. Shife said...

I have never heard of this song but it sounds beautiful.

Christopher D. Bate said...

A more cheerful post is forthcoming. It's been a *meh* kind of week. Do you ever have one of those weeks where it just seems really boring and drawn out...everyone around me seems to feel the same too. Maybe there is something in the air.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
»

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

Anonymous said...

The lyrics are wrong.

I tried to save a girl I truly loved
And didn't quite know how to help her
So now she's sleeping as her parents up above
Cry over things that they can't tell her

And when I did my good deed
I thought I'd feel unbroken gladness
But standing in the street alone
I just felt sinking sadness

Girl, your dad will not us bless
So hang up your veil and dress
Look at me and take one guess
Where this best-intentioned love will lead us

I once felt a feeling fully through
Though I knew I shouldn't feel it
Because to act on it I'd be a person
Who should be slapped into a straitjacket

So every time it comes around
I just let it die inside me
You said, "I only come around
Because I just need you to hide me"

So we knelt in those dead weeds
Sticks and sharp rocks cutting into our knees
And I thought that we would freeze
But there was just too much warm blood in our bodies

I'm not going to make you take the pills
Though you should really think about it
The fire by which we both were almost killed
Glowed so beautiful don't doubt it

But we have to make a choice now
Can we glow without it?
There's a space I tried to fill
But I'm seeing now I never will
You fly around while I stand still
Until I slowly just get smaller and smaller

I tried to save a girl I truly loved
And I never would desert her
But we both found out that I was dreaming
Of the day I thoroughly could hurt her

And I saw myself inside her eyes
This shrinking would-be savior
Resented her for never needing help
And couldn't wait just to betray her

So we drove back to her place
From the temporary home that we had made
And I stepped back into the street
Feeling the fullest moment of my life
Slowly shrink away from me

With my good deed

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...