Monday, April 10, 2006

Kudos for Chris: George Willson's review of 'Bent Soul'

This was very clever and very funny. I laughed out loud several time during the course of reading this. It is extremely dialogue heavy. In fact, it is all dialogue, but the dialogue drives it too. It read very, very quickly with the banter between Ryan and Kyle. I glanced down once and I was thirty pages through it without even noticing. That's some good dialogue.

It felt very much like a series of tableaus where the characters went through a series of linked situations in resolving the issue Ryan has. Each of the situations was very amusing and through all 108 pages, the chatter just kept driving it along. I am impressed.

Though it occasionally went off onto apparent tangents, somehow it all tied together into a cohesive whole. I usually start reading with the intent of critically analyzing it, but after a few pages, I got into the story and just read through it. Not really any loose ends; your main characters are well-rounded and the supporting characters were quite good enough for the small sketch roles they played.

Another thing that I was waiting to pay off was the comment about Midriff Jones in that staring at her makes you do stuff. Well, no one played this out. I think that would have been fun, but the scene was complete enough.

What this most felt like was a Monty Python film where characters go through sketch after sketch, each one tied together to make a complete story. Good humor. Great dialogue. Maybe at some point I'll read it more critically, but for now, I'll say good job.

--George Willson

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I told you it was awesome :)

Steve House said...

I knew my fake name would fool you. Only kidding, isnt it great when people love somehting you have done. I once had a crowd watch my terd

Christopher D. Bate said...

Stephanie==It's certainly one of the better things I've done. I'm very proud of it and I'm pleased that people seem to dig it.

'The Man'==You did! It was a V festival highlight! You'll be headlining next year!

Trix==Genius? haha! You're too nice. This is one of the reasons why you're one of my top blog friends.

Day==Postcard exchange? That sounds great!! Count me in!

sarah said...

bent soul.. great script. i enjoyed it via e-mail some time ago.

i believe the subject line was:

scripty mc script script.

that part was amusing as well.

you, my friend.. are going to be big time, soon. i can TASTE it.

Christopher D. Bate said...

There has been a few more reviews but I'll save those foe now. If there's a bad one I shall post that too.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
» » »

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...