Monday, May 07, 2007

Freakend/Geekend in Leicester









This weekend was both freaky and geeky. It was very, very good indeed. We took in the Star Wars Special at Leicester's Space Centre where we saw lots of cool things that made me go 'wow' lots, maybe more so than the hordes of kids that were there. We saw lots of space-based stuff but Star Wars dominated the centre and we just soaked it all up. You're never too old for Star Wars. I aced a themed quiz, got some cool photos of props and stuff and offered a Pepsi to a Storm Trooper so I was happy as Salacious Crumb .
We also went to some very cool bars (The Dry Dock, Stoney Cove) and took in some cool sights (Abbey Park, Engelbert Humperdinck's house). We headed out last night to a few other bars and clubs and Adam, Kylie's brother, took us to some of his usual haunts. One place, The Village had changed a little since he last visited as it was now a gay bar complete with a wise-cracking drag queen that we bantered with for a bit. I was actually relieved because it looked like a louts bar from the outside. It was a decent place and we stayed for a few drinks and a game of pool.
We went off to a indie club called Fan Club after politely declining the invitation to go the drag queen's birthday party at a nearby club. It's not that we didn't want to go, in fact, we were set to change our plans. it's only when we saw that the place was rammed that we opted for Fan Club.
We drinked and danced at Fan Club and walked over to the haunted Guildhall and ran around there for a bit. That place is very spooky and has a scary history so decided to make a 'Most Haunted' parody that was mostly a collection of nonsensical sentences and rude jokes. We didn't see the mad monk which is probably for the best (You're supposed to die if you do and that would have put a blight on the weekend).
It was a lot of fun and my thanks goes to Kylie's amazing family for the kind of weekend that makes you realise what life is all about. My head is a hell of a lot clearer that it was before the weekend. Not even starting a new job can tarnish my good, relaxed and extremely chilled out mood.
Kylie is having a nap, so tired is she from all the activities. She's probably got the right idea.






3 comments:

Devil Mood said...

I'd be last in that quiz, I am absolutely sure!!!

Maja said...

Wow! Geezer will be so impressed! And I'm jealous. (about the star wars thing)

Congrats on a better paying job!

cherry girl said...

Sounds like ALOT of fun!!

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...