Wednesday, May 02, 2007

WHEN IN ROME...

Grr.
I've been given a 'polite' word by my boss (Well, given by a co-worker but scripted by my boss) that I shouldn't be writing in my note book. I'm not sure why this is a problem because everybody doodles in their pads whilst waiting for things to do and systems to kick in.
I just 'doodle' more than some of the people here because I don't talk to anyone, read gossip magazines or join in with the masses amounts of bitching that goes on.
To me, I'm just trading vices, so to speak. I can work AND jot down the odd idea BECAUSE I don't talk, bitch or leave my desk to do a combination of both. I'm sorry that I can't completely lock myself into the work. I do a decent job, I just like to keep my creative clocks ticking. It's not like I'm in emergency services or anything. Making script notes might be a tad bad then.
I was also given some advice by a co-worker that a "messy desk gives the impression that you're busy". I always thought boss-types hated messy desks but I decided to oblige this unwritten rule in order to keep the gnats away from my little picnic.
I've messed up my desk. There is paper everywhere.
What a cunning deception.
I look busy now. Perhaps I should really go to town and use my desk as a toilet.

9 comments:

DanProject76 said...

Messy desk? Not good!

Trust me, I am a boss.
But a nice boss.

Christopher D. Bate said...

Can I work for you?

Anonymous said...

Just don't sell out! You should NEVER, EVER sell out.

!!!

DanProject76 said...

It would be a bit of a long journey every day but yes.

Anonymous said...

We have hot desks and a supposed 'clear desk policy'. I've chosen to ignore said policy in favour of messy desk...nobody else wants to sit there. Mission accomplished :o)

Christopher D. Bate said...

Dan--If only I had super powers. I'd be there in a flash.

J-Ro--That's the spirit!

zuzula said...

my desk is a disgrace. in addition to lots of work shit - endless paper and crappy press releases which often double as coffee mug coasters - I've got a toy Clanger (which sings when you press her belly), Feathers Macgraw from Wallace & Gromit, a wind up nun, a sheep on a spring (pressie from New Zealand, courtesy of J-Ro), a pencil holder in the shape of a clog, a blarneystone and a laptop lavalamp. I haven't been fired yet. It's a miracle.

Christopher D. Bate said...

I might invest in a real life desk pet like a hamster or a horse.

Maja said...

It's true! People do think you're busy when your desk is a mess. What a cunt of a boss. My boss would never do that. Even though sometimes I hate my job, I have to admit that I have a great boss and a relaxed agenda.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...