Sunday, April 10, 2005

Grandpa

My Grandfather was a funny guy. To say I miss him and his pearls of wisdom is a severe understatement.
I'm moved to recall a conversation that occured between myself and the great man that happened on a lazy Sunday afternoon, a couple of years ago.
I'll set the scene. It's a Sunday. My Grandmother is out with my Aunt. It's just me and Granddad. We were watching an arduous television programme with the sound turned way down.

Grandpa broke the silence.


-Chris?

-Yes, Granddad?

-Let me put something to you.

-Okay?

-You know when you go swimming?

-Yes?

-You don't stick to one pool, do you?

-Uh, no.

-You have a swim in as many pools as you can. Sticking to one pool would be boring.

-Okay--

-Women are like swimming pools, Christopher.

-Grandad, are you encouraging me to sleep around?

-Have yourself a swim, Lad. Have a good swim.


And then, silence. Back to T.V. We spoke no more about it.

Many Grand folks would have encouraged their Grandchildren to find a nice girl, settle down and have a bunch of children. Not my Grandfather.
He believed in living life to it's absolute fullest, regretting nothing but the things you're too scared to do. He wasn't scared to do or say anything and he wanted the younger generation of his family to do the same.

Plus, he fucking hated my girlfriend.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...