Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My 9th Birthday

My Father told me a story the other day which amused and disturbed me. It concerned my 9th birthday. My Dad wanted it to be special. He wanted to throw a party. He got in touch with my Mother and they decided, as a treat, to get me a clown.
He knew a man that knew a man that knew OF a man that knew a clown.
Dad got the Bozo's number and arranged to meet the man that would be headlining his eldest son's birthday party.
Dad met the clown. They were getting on well--
--Until--
CLOWN
--Yeah, I do balloon animals, magic tricks, song and dances--all that.
DAD
Excellent. Christopher likes animals. He has a thing for sheep. Can you do sheep?
CLOWN
I can do sheep, sharks, Lions, Tigers. You name it.
DAD
Great. That's brilliant. Are you free the 14th?
CLOWN
Yes.
DAD
So, I'll give you a call with regards to the exact time.
CLOWN
Okay.
DAD
I've got your number. What was your name again?
CLOWN
Molesto.
DAD
Sorry?
CLOWN
Molesto.
DAD
Molesto the clown?
CLOWN
Yes. You look a little taken aback. Is it the name? Because it is just a name.
DAD
........Right.
CLOWN
Are you okay?
DAD
Molesto?
CLOWN
My name is Matthew Molesto. It's a family name. It's just a family name. My father was the Great Molesto. I don't actually--
DAD
You can see my apprehension. The name is a bit of a put-off.
CLOWN
But I'm a very good clown. The best in the borough. You won't find a better clown than me. I'm twice the entertainer Rogers The Clown is.
DAD
I'll give you a call.
CLOWN
No you won't. You're just saying that.
DAD
No, I will.
My Dad didn't call Molesto. He got a magician instead. He had so many wicked tricks.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...