Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Happy Trails

Where to start? Where to begin? So much to tell and tell I will....in BULLET POINT FORM! (B.P freaks go crazy! This format is for you.)

FRIDAY

-Impromptu visit to Birmingham. Myself, Nick, Mark, Mansell and Matt headed up to Bar Academy and then to Ramshackles. Ramshackles is a super fun, super cheap indie club and it always makes for good times.
-We all made up our own dance to 'Do you want to' by Franz Ferdinand. People of all sizes, sexes,races and shapes joined in. We were doing our little bit for relations. Plus, there is not enough high-kicking and jazz hands on today’s indie dance floors.
-Learned juicy 'Christ Really?!' gossip from Mansell. It may or may not be true but if it is then karma is a harmer for some rotten and forgotten sod.
-Some drunken football fan pissed on my shoes on the night bus home. That was after they had graced the tired, night-swimming travellers with various footie anthems and chants. This is the main reason I don't like football. The old Lout Factor.
-Went home and played Smackdown until 4:30 am because Mr Red Bull wouldn't let me sleep. I eventually fell asleep playing a ladder match.

SATURDAY

-Day was hectic. Had work to do and not of the fun kind.
-Went shopping for supplies. I Brought Bob Dylan's 'Chronicles'. The only problem with this great book is that I keep reading it in a cartoonish Dylan voice. You know what I mean.
-Nick came out with a classic line whilst talking about famine. For some reason he adopted the accent of an Irish old woman to deliver the line: "They don't even have KNEES, some of them!" I chuckled lots. You had to be there to fully appreciate the genius.
-Had a minor rest. Played some fetch with our temporary dog-guest Bonnie. We're dog sitting for a week and it's always nice to have her around. I'm not a dog person by any means but she's great...and good to talk to.

-My good chum Truman texted me to say that he had name dropped me to a Channel 4 producer. That gave me a charge. It was nice of him to do that, regardless of any outcome.
-Headed to Wolverhampton and dropped my bag of stuff for Brighton at Mansell’s house. I was getting the coach from Wolverhampton Coach Station so he was goodly enough to let me crash after Blast Off (And Nick and Mark too)
-Blast Off wasn't so grand this week, back to the typical dirge. DJ Imran was missed because we didn't dance for that long. We did do the Franz dance again which helped Mark to get girly interest.
-Laid off the Red Bull a bit because Mans said it wasn't helping me at all. "It's as bad as beer!" he claimed. Admittedly, beer doesn't make me have chest pains and keep me up long after the night has died. I stuck to good old water. That just made me pee a lot.

SUNDAY

-Got one of two coaches to Brighton at 8:15am and arrived at Brighton at 3:35pm. Very sore but excited about being there and seeing my cool friend Stephanie.
-Stephanie gave me a little tour of Brighton. We saw Steve Coogan's old house/Ex-wife's house. I don't think the chap outside liked us gawping.
-Saw Stephanie's swish pad which made me want to get a better paid job and a sky-light in my room.
-Met up with my cousin Adam and his American lovely, Victoria. We then whipped over to see Okkervil River at The Hanbury Ballroom, which is a tiny old temple which has been converted to a music venue.
-O.R was supported by a strange post-rock group called Garden. The lead singer hated himself and not in a fashionable, 'Oh, woe is me' kind of fake way. He generally seemed to hate himself and his musical ability.
Choice line: "Thank you for your applause. It gives us the confidence to carry on." This was after the first song. I wanted to give him and hug and tell him that it would be okay, but I don't think it would have helped.
-Okkervil River came on and was absolutely excellent. Go find and go listen to their records and you'll thank me.
-Crashed out.

MONDAY

(Are you still reading this? Praise you if so)

-Got up at 8:30am and we headed out to see more of Brighton. One of the many cool things about Brighton is that it is full of independent records stores and cool tee-shirt shops. I would move there in a heartbeat if I had the cash.
-I had to get the coach back at 2:10, pausing to stop at London Gatwick. (Horrible place)
-Another coach from Gatwick to Wolverhampton. An old man sat next to me. He smelled of lettuce.
-Got home earlier because I jumped off the coach (Not literally) a stop earlier and got a cab to my house.
-Crashed and threw on the new Ryan Adams and The Cardinals record and fell asleep.

I had a great, life affirming weekend all round. The only downer is that I have ANOTHER cold! Still, it’s nothing a few Lemsips and a wee bit of rest won’t cure.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...