Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Love

Another five minute scripty thing based on a conversation topic at the office.
'Love'
By Christopher 'Cupid hates me' Bate
EXT-PARK-DAY

It's a beautiful day. Long-time lovers Peter and Julia, mid twenties, are sat on a park bench watching the world go by.

PETER
Hey, I've got a question.

JULIA
It's not THE question is it?

PETER
No, no. We've already talked about that. It's more of a 'what if' kind of question.

JULIA
They're my favourite kind. Do you remember the one you asked the other day? The super powers one?

PETER
Yeah.

JULIA
I've changed my mind. I want claws like Wolverine and not fire powers. Claws are handier.

PETER
(Smiles)
They are.


JULIA
Anyway, what was your 'what if'?


PETER
Okay, what if one of us had the chance to make a boat load of money by say, I don't know, uh, starting a singing career or becoming an successful actor or something-


JULIA
Or a writer?


PETER
Writers don't make money. Anyway, you could go off and fulfil your dreams, obtain fame and fortune and live the highest life possible-


JULIA
-Yes?


PETER
-The only but in this scenario is that you would have to end this.


JULIA
What do you mean?


PETER
You'd have to end us.


JULIA
Couldn't you come with me?


PETER
No, because your agent and P.R people feel that your schedule and image wouldn't allow for a long-term relationship. You'd be way to busy schmoozing and rubbing noses with the big names. They also want your fans to believe that they have a shot with you.


JULIA
That's stupid.


PETER
Well, look at Britney Spears. Her career began to die because she got married and had a kid. People don't like their idols to be unavailable.


JULIA
Is that why you don't like Katie Holmes anymore?


PETER
How could she pick The Cruiser over me? It's ludicrous!


JULIA
I'm not an actor or a singer though.


PETER
Okay, let's say you won the lottery but the stipulation was that you could only have the millions if you were single.


JULIA
What kind of organisation would make those kinds of rules?

PETER
The kind of company that wants to show off a young, beautiful Lotto winner, I don’t know, but you have to choose regardless.

JULIA
So, it's a choice of fame and fortune-

PETER
-Or staying here in the same job, in the same financial situation and with the same person. Bare in mind that we could break up at some point-at any point-and you'd be neither rich, famous or committed.


JULIA
Oh. In that case, I think I would pick the fame and fortune. Relationships end, don't they? What's to say that we wont end- I think in this unrealistic situation I would have to be shallow.


PETER
You'd pick money over me?


JULIA
Yes.


PETER
Even after all this time together?


JULIA
(Nods)
Yes.


PETER
After all we have been through and experienced together?


JULIA
Yes.


PETER
Hmm.

JULIA
I'm sorry. Are you mad at me? We were just talking in 'What ifs'.


PETER
(Gets up) My numbers came up this week.


JULIA
What?


PETER
I won the jackpot.


JULIA
You're kidding me!


We hear a helicopter overhead. A ladder drops down and Peter grabs for it.


PETER
I just wanted to know how you really felt about me. Knowing that you have so little faith in our relationship, I feel better about doing this. Please know that, up until two minutes ago, you were my first choice.
Peter climbs the ladder and leaves Julia sat on the bench.

END
What would you pick?

No comments:

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...