Monday, October 23, 2006

Matrimony and all that

This past weekend saw our family tree extended as my cousin got himself married and stuff. He's always been an inspiration and I've always looked up to him. Their wedding was both fun and educational. I learnt a lot about American matrimonial customs and took advantage of the free bar.
I loosened up enough to slow dance with a nice girl from Seattle, shoot the breeze with whoever wanted to make my acquaintance and dance to my cousin Dan's band. Natually, my adorable niece stole the show both at the wedding and the mini-holiday that bookended it. I love her enough to participate in a variety of embarrassing games at her behest (And win a badge out of pity) and throw myself into a large pool of plastic balls over and over again with reckless abandon.
My Gran took me aside at the wedding and said that she was proud of me. That meant a lot because I was feeling a little weirded out by the whole wedding. A small, nagging part of me was filled with envy and a concern that I will never get a chance to do it myself.
Anyway, my Gran said that the "Normal life" wasn't my thing and that she was proud of me for "taking risks" and not conforming when I didn't have to. if she thinks I'm going to succeed, how can I fail?
The bride's Brother's speech hit home too. He said that his Sister has taught him to "Never settle with anything less". My cousin risked everything to move to another country to start a life with the woman he truly loved. I'll remember that if/when I meet that special someone.
The whole weekend was like something out of 'Garden State'.






17 comments:

Gretta James said...

Your gran sounds amazing. When mine was alive she kept saying

"Gretta you haven't had a relationship for a while, it's not normal you need to find a man to take care of you"

It was so important to her I often think she prolonged her life in the hope that I'd be in a relationship when she died. She obviously gave up hope in the end though. She was a tough old bird and I did love her just wish she wasn't so old fashioned and set in her ways and I wish the whole set in her ways thing hadn't been passed down to me.

I've heard this quote quite a few times over the years.

"It's more beneficial to be single and wanting to be married, than to be married and wanting to be single"

Kind of sums up the whole never settling for anything but the best.

I love the fact you don't conform, you're a challenge and an inspiration to me. That's for sure.

x said...

i don't believe that you necessarily conform when you get married, or that you generally don't conform when you don't. i think that's something deeply rooted in a person and other people can't shake it, whether they are partners, parents or kids.
and you clearly have it in you, so wedding or no wedding, you'll be fine.
xx

zuzula said...

I don't think it's possible to compromise in affairs of the heart. You're either blown away by someone or you're not. Your gran was spot on!

Cathy said...

Your Gran sounds like a gem.

Walter said...

We can get married if you like.

Cindy-Lou said...

Admit it, you wanted to play in the ball pool, you just needed an excuse.

She de la Handbag said...

Nans rock:)

DanProject76 said...

Awwwwwww....... Sweet!

Can I adopt your Grandmother? Mine only used to tell me it would kill my Dad if I got a boyfriend. Still, she's dead now.

Christopher D. Bate said...

My Nan is very cool. I've grown to love her more as the years have gone by. My cousin Adam (the one that recently got hitched) always seemed to be the favourite or at least the one we all aspired to be like. Now we all have our 'things'; my younger sister has her family and I have my vague, dare-to-be great moments. I guess, like most of my family, they have realised that I'm simply not going to go the normal marriage--kids--work route.

JonSheridan said...

Whether the "normal" life is for you or otherwise, keep on being you. Far too many people become disassociated from who they really are and live lives of frustration and ennui due to failing to reconcile their essentialness with the Big Bad World.

On a lighter note, aren't pits of plastic balls great fun? :)

Devil Mood said...

I was just thinking of that film! I have it but haven't watched it yet but your whole discription reminded me of a film.
I think it's wonderful what your gran said to you: grans are usually the most conservative parts of the family, right? and if she is proud of you for taking risks, I think it's really significant. It's great that she told you that because we often don't realize how much our family's approaval means to us.
And you'll find that someone one day, even if it doesn't end in marriage because, let's face it, normal life is not for you ;)

Jay said...

Wow, you have a really cool grandmother. That in itself is something special.

JM said...

Weddings always make me ponder the future. And it also makes me question the past.

sophie said...

Were you visiting the US for the
wedding?

A little reckless abandon is
always a good thing:)

You just need to find yourself
an artist type girl with a heart
of gold:) (ahem)

orange anubis said...

Yay for cool grans and abnormal lives. The next family wedding I go to, the bride and groom (and presumably most of the guests) are all in the police force. It's going to be hilarious.

Christopher D. Bate said...

Hey guys and girls,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I can always rely on you folks to be open, honest and downright lovely. That's why I keep blogging. It's that sunshine feeling and having that connection with even the furthest of people.
The wedding was in the U.K. It was the 'real' wedding after their small ceremony in the U.S. I really want to go and visit them and, if I'm really lucky and things pan out, I might be able to.

Greg Mills said...

Wedding that don't result in sticking a finger down one's throat in order to purge the sweetness and light are always welcome. Sounds like you had a loverly time. And dittos to any above comments that praised your grandmam for having her head on tight.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...