Monday, November 13, 2006

L.A La!

Hey folks,

How are you? Did you have a good freakend?

Boo to Mondays, huh?

Freakend was pretty swish; a mixture of laziness and craziness (Well, the ratio shifted more to the latter)

I had the phone call, Hollywood called Q.B for the first time in history. I'm still digesting the overall strangeness of the situation. I made a ton of notes which I've been working through and things are looking good for the second draft.

The film is going to change a little; more visual and, refreshingly, more crazy. The set pieces that were suggested will enhance proceedings and make a very, very talky film more flashy and 'showy'.

Mr Lewis has a good, surreal sense of humour and he didn't once suggest tacking on a love story or watering down the jokes to make them more digestible.
I'm going to go back and rebuild it from the ground up; adding new parts, characters and change scenes around to suit the new location...L.A. I'm planning to do an act a day whilst getting used to Final Draft.


Mr Lewis was very complimentary and it's looking to be a very collaborative process. He said: "It's up to you" a number of times and he seems to dig my work ethic.
He kept saying how excited he was about making the film and how much promise it has.


That's got to be a good thing, right?

We also had a chat about London, Steve Coogan and 'Round the World In Eighty Days', 'The Office' and Hollywood eccentrics that operate questionable organizations that celebrities go crazy for.

And I thought Scientology was weird...

I'm been getting a real education of late. I'm learning..

Whatever happens in the future, it's been pretty rad so far. It'll please my parents anyway :)

17 comments:

Steve House said...

I know it's not the part to focus on but why talk about '80 days' if your gonna mention Steve Coogan?

Oh and good luck, well done, remember to get me a part, blah blah blah

Christopher D. Bate said...

Mr Lewis edited that film. I told him that Steve Coogan is better as Alan Partridge but I'm not sure he knew what I was talking about.

I'll pimp you up if I can. There are plenty of nods to people I know so you'll be there in spirit.

I'm going to be so anti-social until I finish the second draft

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOW!!! What amazing news!

Your story beats my "dinner with a band" post by miles and miles, because it's your story.

I can see the "dinner with famous screenwriter" posts already ;)

Clive_Evil_C said...

Steve Coogan? Any gossip about Mr.Coogan you can share. Strictly for ... oh who am I kidding I just want coogan fan boy news.

Cathy said...

Can you squeeze bit parts in for us all perhaps?....
Great news, mate!

Stephanie said...

I'm over the moon for you! Well done!
I'm beaming for you because this kind of recognition is loooooong overdue for you. *big hugs* You rock, Christopher Bate. Face it. :)
I'm also beaming for me because I'm closer to seeing this great film on the screen. New crazy scenes! Yipee!

zuzula said...

exciting stuff... who do you have i mind for the cast? (apart from steve, of course)

Gretta James said...

Ey up that's great news.

It's not only your parents that are please for you bud.

Still hoping it all works out you're one step closer :>

Gretta x

JonSheridan said...

Go you! Great news that you're being given full leeway with the script and it'll be top banana to see Ryan and Kyle in full on cinematic action (and doubly interesting to see who gets cast as them too!) :)

Anonymous said...

teehee! i was tickled to see your new blog title.

RAD! totally.

now you need to bring back "tubular."

it's very fascinating to read how you're doing the collaborating and re-writing. parts of a process i never knew much about.

Anonymous said...

Phrases to include for American viewers: "ass-barnardos", "geddouddahere richie, you goddamned monster munch" and "why do you give me shit, i can get vas blackwood for an ones dollar! PEAK TIME!"

Greg Mills said...

I am damp for you. Slip in a Vicodin or Ambien reference. Very LA.

Blair said...

grats Hollywood Bate, you are already way better than Hollywood Hogan!!

Devil Mood said...

Oh this is so exciting!! :)
Do you have any actors you'd like to see in those roles?
Learning is the best and I know you like learning cause you're a Sag :)
Keep it up!

fb said...

Sweeet!

Keep your head down, eyes on the prize but still check over your shoulder every now and then!

Best of luck!

Maja said...

Cool!

Walter said...

Hurrah, "Hollywood Bate".
Although, I'm still not sure you are better than Hollywood Hogan... afterall, he does have those big ol' pythons.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...