Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Unexpected...

Wow. I did not expect to lose my job today. I did not see that coming. I don't know what I did exactly. I knew it was a temporary but, wow, I didn't know it would end like that.

I actually liked this job and I thought I was doing a good job. They felt I was too quiet and unconfident. My contract wasn't extended because I was polite basically. I worked in an office full of girls so I maintained a gentlemanly attitude. I don't know what they wanted. The office isn't my arena. I just go there to work, make money and go home. I didn't ruffle any feathers, tried my best and thought I was doing okay.

Not so.

I made a few mistakes but I'm new, human and that happens. No one told me that I was doing anything wrong during the six months I was there. In fact, I was always told I was doing well, often thanked for helping out and doing good work. I even used to ask how I was getting on because I didn't have any one-to-one meetings or appraisals. Everytime, I was told that I was doing great. I don't get it. I'm probably not supposed to.
At the end of the day, well, 12:30 I was thanked for being a great help. I don't get it. Was it a test I failed? Was I supposed to beg or plead for a permanent position? Was I supposed to unleash my inner asshole and show them that I'm not really all that quiet? I don't get it.
I left today instead of Friday because, well, what was the point of hanging around like the guy that's been dumped at the party? What was I supposed to do, plow on and work hard with my head held high? I decided to use my holiday and go.
I'm a little sad, feel a little dumped to tell you the truth, but I'll be okay. I can find something else. I needed to find something with better money anyway. I had been working on a plan B.

This weekend, '1001 Leaps of Faith', a film I wrote is being filmed and I'll be there to help out and see it through. That's my true job and one that makes me more happy than anything else. I don't get paid for it but I get to work, meet and create with a group of amazing and talented people.

When that's done and dusted, I'll know I've done a good job.

4 comments:

Devil Mood said...

I'm so sorry :(
Sometimes what happens over here (well, not sometimes, all the time) is that when the temporary contract ends, they automatically send the person home and hire another one because they don't have the money to extend the contract and give you more benefits. Basically, there's exploiters, to say the least.
So maybe it wasn't about you...

At least (!) you have something truly exciting to look forward to. YOUR FILM! Now that's a plus :D

DanProject76 said...

Their HR management 'skills' stink! No appraisaly chats at all and all the requests from you for feedback came across as good? Tools!

Meh. But yay for the Film!

Christopher D. Bate said...

I guess I'm just not a company man.

Devil Mood--That seems to be the general way of running things here too. I just thought I'd found a company that was more honest. I guess there is no such thing as an honest office anymore.

Dan--It's confusing. I wish I worked somewhere decent like you.

x said...

I'm sorry Chris. Not because of the job, but because you are sad. I am not sorry for the job because you will find another one like that and because you are actually great at something else, and people who are great at writing films are usually not great at PR. It seems you failed at public relations not at your job per se.
You'll be fine, just give it a little time. x

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...