Monday, February 15, 2016

Cookie

A rough old day today. Not because of work or anything like that. In fact, things couldn't be better in that regard.

However, a tiny, furry friend of mine passed away. A tiny, furry ball of wonderful that even people who hate cats would feel a twinge of feline fandom.

Cookie is a tough cat to lose. I had a lot of time with her, through my first move to Leicester and my various bouts of unemployment. She was a fussy fixture of a family home that was already cosy and welcoming. It's not hard to form a bond with a pet, whether they fully get you or not. It's always cynical and sad to assume that these relationships don't mean anything. A friend is a friend, no matter if it has the capacity to converse with you.

I got used to Cookies quirks; her desire to be near you, but not sit on you, to meow loudly when she couldn't find you because she wanted you to come back and be around her. 

One of the most beautiful moments I spent with her was during a heavy bout of depression, when I felt it weight down on me physically as well as mentally. She wouldn't leave me alone and was out-of-character affectionate. She broke her own code of sitting on me and snuggling close for hours. It helped because, well, why would  it not? Maybe she sensed it, perhaps she just had good timing. It was a kindness and she was a comfort when I needed it. I don't even ask that from people who don't communicate via meows so I took it for something positive.
With cats, you are never fully sure how they feel about you but with Cookie, you kind of always knew. She liked people, was Posnett-worthy strange. She was awesome. I loved her loads and I will miss her tons.

I used to joke that Cookie was a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac. She was the Fleetwood Mac of felines. She was that awesome. 

Rest in peace, Cookmeister. 



2 comments:

Scarlett Cross said...

No finer attribute than "she was the Fleetwood Mac of cats". That's pretty awesome to me. Well said, Chris.

kimberlina said...

Cats are the best, it should be utterly illegal for them to grow old - they're just too sweet and pure. They always mean the best, even when they poop in your bed (as mine did when they couldn't get to the litterbox). Cookie sounds like a loving and sweet kitty, so sorry to hear of your loss. I fully atheist, but I desperately believe with all my heart that there's a heaven for cats.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...