Friday, March 07, 2008

PARKING SPACE BLUES

Some person keeps parking in our alloted car park space at home. This isn't that big a deal as K.P and I don't drive or own a car BUT it's proving to be rather annoying when we have guests over for shennanigans. The same person keeps parking in our space and he/she must think that he/she is onto a winner. After a few days of this, we decided a note maybe in order. People seem to do that in our block and it seems to work. Maybe a gentle nudge will cause the guilty party park elsewhere.
I have never done anything like this before but, apart from literally waiting at the spot for him/her to get to their car, the least we can do is leave a nice, but stern, memo. This consumed me with more worry than usual.
We drafted a bunch of letters like we were working on 'Good Will Hunting 2' or a bill of rights. Kylie wrote the thing because her writing is nicer and less offensive than mine. We weren't trying to be too harsh like some folk. We wanted to be nice but not too nice. I even got Kylie to add a smiley to make things more cheerful. Maybe we should have drawn a cartoon penis to try and lighten things up. I have the feeling that him/her will be dismissive and we'll lose a really petty battle of non-wits. I keep worrying that the person might be a lunatic and that we might find the note nailed to our apartment door, smeared in blood. Of course, there is every chance that him/her might be nice and decent about it all. I always see the worst in people I don't know.
If it fails, I'm going to feel bullied in the most ridiculous way and my guests are going to have to park elsewhere (the parking at our block is pretty crappy), possibly annoying someone else and setting off a chain of parking inconvenience. I'm happy to share the spot because we don't have a car. We just need the thing at weekends. This is like Kramer Vs Kramer but we're arguing over a parking space, not a kid.
What would you do? What CAN be done? Oh, the humanity!

5 comments:

DanProject76 said...

Don't do what my local optician's receptionist's son did and throw eggs at it, even though he's "a good boy really" according to her, as overheard while getting my eyes poked and blinded yesterday. Meh, puny humans.

Devil Mood said...

hehe too many films going on in your mind.
It's hard. I hate conflicts with neighbours. NO, erase that: I hate neighbours, I hate my neighbours. I wish they all disappeared. :)

Stephanie said...

Oh - I went through something like this. I had a car but the neighbors kept parking across my driveway.

The real truth of it was I was more likely to zip off to see a band at 10 PM on a weeknight, and I wasn't about to knock on doors asking, "Please move your car" Isn't it crazy how bad something so idiotic can make you feel?

Right now I'm going through the ridiculous motions of getting the condo mgmt to fix a garage door on a parking space I don't need for my imaginary car - but like you, my friends drive over sometimes.

Hope it works out for you!

Christopher D. Bate said...

It worked out fine with no scary stuff. The smiley face was a mood lightening addition or maybe they thought we were insane. Either way, guests can now to and fro from our pad.

Simon Downes said...

Good to know a note can do the trick but if it happens again I'd recommend sticking knifes in the tyres and rub dog faeces on the door handles.

Aloofus, Aloofus...

So, it’s 2018. I’m staring down the barrel of my 40’s but with the same goofy mindset I honed in my 20’s. Mentally, it doesn’t feel as bad a...